COVID-19 pandemic: Impact on operational processing in India
In order to contain the spread of Covid-19 virus, Government of India and authorities have enforced a three week ban with effect from midnight of 24 March 2020, which prevents all entries from Europe into, in addition to the already existing entry ban for visitors from several Asian countries. All offices and non-essential services will remain closed during this period.All DACHSER offices will remain close down during this period, until any further notice.
This will create a delivery restrictions in each product category:
- LH has cancelled their freighters to/ from BOM due to no staff to handle the same at the airport. Staff are unable to reach work due to lock down and curfew
- Other freighter operators like QR, EK, TK, CX etc. may soon follow suit, please check at your end for any import dispatches into India
- Flights within India will also be stopped Mar 25 onwards until Mar 31
- There is a shortage of truck drivers and due to the curfew all transport is at a standstill
- At Nhava Sheva port, except very limited import shipment which are essential supplies such as medication, no vehicles are being allowed in or out, so basically no import and export container movements taking place since this March 24
- CFS labour did not report to work, goods vehicles could not move freely as such all activities - stuffing & de-stuffing at CFS' is at a standstill
- Empty container depots are not working and combined with lack of trucks, no export pickups are possible.
- The above may turn out to be the case in all other ports and ICDs in India in the next couple of days
- Various associations have represented to the government to make sure the working of the CFS is not hampered as supplies like pharma and food stuff need to be imported for the country
- All the vessels with the last port of call from China, Italy, Iran, Republic of Korea, France, Spain, Germany, UAE, Qatar, Oman and Kuwait to be quarantined for a period of 14 days from last port of call before they can be accepted at Kolkata Port Trust (KoPT)
- While documents can be filed online, any cargo requiring physical check before import or export is not possible due to travel restrictions and lack of both customs and brokerage staff.
- All transportation services (air, road and rail) remains suspended across India, hence we are unable to provide any local transportation or CHA services until further notice
We understand that this may lead to an inconvenience till the time the situation eases, but to maintain the larger interest of the nation, we would like to save everyone from potential risks & hence request your kind understanding on the same.
However, Our teams will be working from home and will be available during the office working hours and tackle all emails, calls and escalations promptly.
Please rest assured that we will keep you updated of any changes to the current situation. Should you have any concerns and/or queries, please feel free to contact your local DACHSER representative.
Thank you as always for your continued support. Hoping you, your families, and loved ones stay safe. Further details will be provided as the situation develops.